Provide nursing services in various programs
- WIC nutrition counseling; Breastfeeding support
- Family Planning counseling and screening services
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening
- Hearing and Vision Screening for all elementary and middle school children in Michigan
- Immunizations for adults and children
- Home visits to high risk pregnant women
- Home visits to families with new babies
- HIV testing and counseling
- Case management for children with special needs through the Children’s Special Health Care Services program
- Case Management for families in our communities/Link families to community programs and services.
Respond to emergencies including infectious disease outbreaks, natural or man-made disasters, and bioterrorism.
Help families enroll in health insurance programs
- Assure that no child is uninsured
- Link adults to various health resources
Provide Health Education to families, schools and community
- Educate populations about smoking, obesity risks and health lifestyle choices
- Assure that schools adequately monitor immunizations for their students
- Support teachers in their provision of Health Education and implementation of the Michigan Model
Prevent communicable disease through monitoring occurrences, providing treatment, tracking outbreaks and providing immunizations.
Advocate for good health policy through community organizing and collaboration with various groups such as Tobacco Coalitions, Safe Kids Coalitions, Diabetes Initiatives, Human Service Collaborative Bodies, and Breastfeeding Coalitions.
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: To Provide information sharing, networking, leadership and recognition among Public Health Nurses (PHN).
Goal 2: To inform elected officials (local, state and federal), other health professionals, and the public regarding public and community health issues.